Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 4 - NYC

I've been officially displaced for four days now, so I was so thankful to get an evening in (what was) my apartment alone in order to get take a nice shower, make myself dinner, and have a few hours of alone time while I watched Glee and reorganized my luggage to ensure the big one isn't over 50 pounds. I don't wanna pay that fee! The fact that I still have my things at my apartment really makes this feel less definite. I feel like I could wake up tomorrow and say 'nah, nevermind' and move back into my place and cut off all possible ties that I had built in SF. Now, I'm by no means going to do this and to be honest I couldn't do this, I'm just saying that it feels very unreal at the moment.

I think things will feel much more real in the coming hours because my going away party is right around the corner on Wednesday night. It will be an interesting time mish mashing all of the wonderful people I have met and gotten to know in the last four years. People I met my first week in the city will be there along with people that I met just a week ago. I expect it will be a beautifully happy, if not emotional, evening.

I have created a wonderful world of friends here and they are the only thing I am really going to miss. Day 3's post will probably just be one thousand photos of the people I love. It's fascinating though because I don't really feel like I'm leaving most of them behind. The internet is an insane thing in this way. Ten years ago I would be much more sad about saying goodbye because I wouldn't be able to have a day to day update on their lives, their loves and their fashion choices. They would be forced to fade into the ether. This is so different though because I don't expect to fully 'lose touch' with anyone.

Oh Mark Zuckerberg, you done changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment