Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 1 - NYC

I was walking through the streets of Midtown Manhattan, walking out of work to the train for the last time, drinking them in one last time, the people, the smells, the traffic. This area of the city had been the breeding ground of all of my aversion to New York. I always connected midtown with the more painful and depressing times I had in New York, which was the majority of the time I was here so going through those streets has always made me anxious and down. I avoid it at all costs usually, but I always end up working in that stupid neighborhood. 

 Looking one last time, knowing that I would never again walk through these streets on a daily basis, I suddenly felt my heart bursting with love, adoration and inspiration. I kind of feel like I found myself in these streets. And now that I was no longer a part of the matrix of the city I was able to step back and for the first time appreciate the completely unique and frenetic never ending heartbeat of the city. Cars, people, horns, yells, bikes, food and trash swirling around without ever stopping. This is what makes New York so one of a kind, it truly never sleeps. The movement is a constant overwhelming pulse and you can either choose to be a part of it or get forced into the groove against your will. 

I kind of felt like a ghost standing in the center of Herald Square at that moment, flanked by the Empire State, Times Square and Flatiron all visible in my radius. I feel like I had already left but my eyes has stayed to finally sit back and watch all of the millions of moving gears that made the city tick. It wasn't overwhelming anymore because I wasn't a part of it. I was a spectator. And while I can't say I will ever miss Midtown I can say that I finally appreciate its one of a kind never ending series of moments. Those streets have seen more than any other place on earth. 

There was no better way to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment