Monday, September 20, 2010

The Transition

A week ago I compiled a list. After almost four years of living in New York there were so many things I hadn't yet done and needed to do. Sharing the list was the best idea I could have had, because I have now filled up my final days in New York with those last few things I think anyone should do to flesh out the 'New York Experience'...whatever the hell that is.

If you're reading this you probably know that I'm leaving behind a city that I have always found fault with (New York) for a city I hold on a pedestal (San Francisco...though I might hold it on a pedestal partially because it is just not New York). Today marks 20 days before I leave and head off to the next great adventure, and I've found myself getting incredibly reflective. Thus, I have decided to chronicle my final days here and pay homage to the last four years, because for better or worse it happened and ultimately it probably wasn't as bad as I always thought it was.

I want to leave here on good terms with the high maintenance city of New York. I've always said that New York is the most high maintenance girlfriend you could have. All she wants is money, she forces you to pay attention to her (even if she must resort to despicable antics), she tells you to your face that you are nothing special and she could fine a million others like you...plus she smells like shit...all the time. But, then again, she is the star of the party and everyone wants to be inside of her so you keep her around and think you are 'lucky' to 'experience being with her'. Well, I'm done with that. We broke up awhile ago, me and good old New York. But I still want to leave on good terms, and I'm well on my way to doing so. I want to do so by visiting my favorite places, visiting places I have never taken a moment to visit, and doing so with the people I love that have made my time here worth every moment.

Alternatively, I want to, once I have moved, chronicle the new world as well through a slightly hazy, not quite knowing what I'm getting into but excited as hell point of view. 

It might be self indulgent, but so be it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment