Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 16 - NYC

Today feels like the first real day of the transition. Chris got into town last night and is staying with me until the day that I move out. So I will be sharing a bed or sleeping on a couch every night for the next month when I finally get into my (somewhat) permanent San Francisco residence on the 18th of October. I can only imagine how good that is going to feel after a month of being a couch hopping nomad.

I always loved being a nomad. Living out of my suitcase, never settling, always able to get up and go with just the bag on my back with everything I might need. I find a strength in being able to do that. It's really nice to know that all you have to worry about is yourself, and living that minimalist lifestyle makes that really clear.  I'm feeling in myself that this will be a big extended period of nomadity (is that a word?) followed by the most settling I've ever done. I've gotten rid of almost everything I own. All of my furniture, 75% of my clothing, shoes, books, housewares. Everything. My room is a skeleton with a few pieces of furniture I have yet to shed and some random clothes. It's like I'm wiping the makeup off of my face before getting a huge amazing better than ever facial. Wiping out everything to start fresh on what finally feels like the real exciting new thing. I'm salivating for the moment when I can choose the right San Francisco apartment for me and for the first time I'm daydreaming about paint colors and design ideas in a way that makes me think it's right around the corner. But we shall see!

For now though, the only designing I will be doing is with the little clothing I have left unpacked for use for the next month, which I will be carting around in a cloth shopping bag that was given to me as a holiday gift from a girl who's name I didn't know in an office gift exchange at some random job I temped at two years ago. Thanks random lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment