Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 19 - NYC

Thoughts: 

Will I miss the novelty of suddenly being surrounded by the faces of people I spent hours upon hours watching on TV once upon a time? (Logan Huntsberger...I have no clue of his real name...was at a party tonight I catered. We made close up eye contact. It was a 'moment'. Watch out Rori.) No, I can't say I will 'miss it' because I'm not really interested in stardom, but it has always added some spice to my dinner table conversation topics.

I've always found New York interesting in that way, that you can walk past a person of fame or fortune on the street and share the same stench of trash and the same beat up sidewalk with them for that one moment. New York is unlike any other city in that way. We all inhabit the same cramped streets. We get honked at by the same cabbies who are pissed at our jaywalking. We all hear the same crazy motherfucker screaming to repent to Jesus. We all smell the same nasty trash in the heat of the summer. We all smell each other smelling like nasty trash in the heat of the summer, regardless of our stations in life. So much of this city is accessible to the masses and shoved in your face, no matter who you are. While I don't think I will miss that, I sure am glad (in hindsight if nothing else) that I experienced it. New York is a unique organism where everyone is a part of every moment, like it or not. In a way, at least on the streets, we are all equal here.

Midnight on a Monday...a nice rare quiet train

No comments:

Post a Comment